Embroidery: Latest Projects

Untitled
This was my to-be embroidered stack a few days ago. Thankfully I’ve finished most of the hoops in this stack and I’m back to working on my original 2 projects before everything sort of exploded.

Untitled

I’m not doing much in the way of custom orders this year – at least not yet. But one of my first requests was to stitch up some handkerchiefs based off the song “Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music. I used some blank hankies from Sublime Stitching and the colorway was a request by the customer. I think they turned out pretty cute.

 

Untitled

I have had the pleasure of keeping some of my work in a local shop in town and honestly I’ve struggled over the years with what to put in there. Usually it ends up being an overflow of things I’ve tried to sell online that didn’t really go or just other random sorts of odds and ends. This year, my goal was to put some things in there that were more of a series. I thought about the hoops that have always done well and usually it has been those with a mix of simple embroidery and whimsical fabric. So I decided to go through my stash of favorite fabrics and make some hexagons of various sizes and go from there. I’m pleased with how they turned out. I think it’s a great mix of colors, styles, fabrics and price ranges. You can find these locally at The Village Tinker hopefully sometime in the next week or so.

 

Untitled

I’ve learned a lot lately about Adobe Illustrator and I’m in the process of redoing all of my patterns. It’s been a slow job, but I’ve really enjoyed finally learning (and succeeding) at something that really freaked me out for so long (i.e. – anything adobe) I’m currently restitching this pattern (along with a lovely pattern tester from Instagram) and I’m excited to re-release it in the coming weeks.

 

butterflywings
I’m working on a larger stumpwork butterfly. I want this one to be three-dimensional so it will have a felted body – at least that is the plan. It’s been fun watching the wings take shape.

Continue Reading

Embroidery: Bugs in Jars

One of my goals this year was to work on this series of embroideries I titled “Bugs in Jars”. I had this idea of stitching a mix of regular embroidery with stumpwork bugs and adding some vinyl to make it look like they were actually in jars. It was a great experiment and I’ve learned so much.

The last in the trio ended up being more of a terrarium than just a regular mason jar like the first two. I found this old illustration of a terrarium and sketched it up with a few additions and changes.

Untitled

The base is a “copper” base with a mix of back stitches and satin stitches. After the base was done, I moved on to the flowers and greenery.

Untitled

I started out with satin stitching all the petals and leaves of the plants. Then I added some dimensions with some stumpwork petals and leaves. This was the first time I’ve done stumpwork with something other than a wing – the concept is totally the same but it felt fun to do something different.

Untitled

I wasn’t going to add any bugs to this one, but I figured I needed to in order to call this trio a true trio of Bugs in Jars. So I free handed a little white moth and stitched up some wings.

Untitled

This is probably one of my favorite shots. I used some hand dyed threads that I had in my stash and couched them down to make it look like moss. I also added in some back stitched greenery to fill up the space underneath all the plants.

Untitled

Then it was time to add the vinyl cloche top!

Untitled

I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out!

Untitled

Continue Reading

Embroidery: Bugs in Jars Series

I’ve had this idea brewing for a while now of this series I wanted to do I’m calling “Bugs in Jars”.

Bugs in jars series. 2016

I’m using vintage insect illustrations as a guide and coming up with a series of embroideries that will include some dimensional stumpwork.

Bugs in jars series. 2016

Here’s a peek at some progress shots for my first in the series.

Bugs in jars series. 2016

The wings in this one are rimmed with wire – which is honestly my least favorite part of any handwork. It’s the most tedious and eye crossing work.

Bugs in jars series. 2016

But once you cut them out, the result is totally worth it!

Bugs in jars series. 2016

I’m using a mix of wool and cotton threads for all of these and I am so super excited how it’s all coming together!

Continue Reading

Embroidery: over at andstitches today…

butterflyhoop

Sharing how I stitched up this stumpwork butterfly over at the andstitches blog today…check it out!

Continue Reading

Embroidery: A little stumpwork practice

One of my long term stitching goals has been to learn how to do “stumpwork.” There is a long history of this type of dimensional embroidery and if you look back at some of the traditional stumpwork embroideries from the 17th and 18th century you would be amazed. They used golden thread and beads and all sorts of things to create these absolutely amazing embroidered scenes with so much texture.

My first project was to create a stumpwork butterfly.

It was actually a pretty simple process for something that looks so complicated. I learned a ton and made gobs of mistakes along the way, but for my first little attempt I was pretty impressed with myself!

I ended up using a mini hoop and turned my little butterfly into a happy magnet!

 

butterfly

 

Continue Reading