A quick glimpse at what I’ve been working on this past week or so…
yellow + country wallpaper border + disgusting valance + a huge disorganized mess = time to go
half a gallon of lovely green paint + thrifted cabinet from a friend’s kitchen demo + lovely window sans valance + huge mess organized = laundry bliss
We are moving the wire shelves that were above the washer to the other wall for some hanging room and more storage and I hope to add a little laundry room themed art too. At some point we will have to redo the linoleum on the floor, but not at this point.
All together I spent $40 for paint supplies to redo this room. Not too bad for such a great happy upgrade.
I have quickly jumped the gun on our list of projects and moved into the spring list (don’t tell my husband).
My laundry room has long been one of those rooms I’ve wanted to redo for a long, long time. It’s the last of the yellow rooms in this house and needed a huge makeover. Last weekend I started by cleaning off all the shelves and then tearing out said shelves. It had these wire shelves above the washer/dryer and on the other wall it had these horrible plywood shelves. With all those gone it was time to tackle the wallpaper border.
I started out with this diff spray that we had in our stash. Honestly, to be fair, it’s old. I scored the border and then sprayed this yucky gel stuff. I was able to get off the top printed layer, but it left the paper underneath and at this point I gave up.
After doing a little research online, I read that a 50/50 vinegar/water recipe had worked for some. I thought, I have vinegar and water and an empty spray bottle. I’ll give it a try. Hands down this was amazing.
The trick is the get it super wet with the spray, let it sit until it starts to dry then spray it again and start scraping.
When I got to the last wall, I really just sprayed and it just peeled off. Amazing.
I did have one section that still had the printed paper on top and honestly I had to spray-scrape-spray-wait and then scrape some more. But eventually I did get it all off. I’m hooked. (Although there is thankfully not another drop of wallpaper in our house to rip off).
The only caveat is that if you have any open cuts on your hands beware. Vinegar stings like nothing else.
We’ve been slowly (like painfully slow) working on our master bathroom. The cabinets were this boring natural wood color, but the cabinets and counter top were really too nice to even think about replacing (not to mention we couldn’t afford it).
Here are some before shots:
I finally got the cabinets painted last Fall and we hung up the doors. Leaving the floor…
Ripping up that first square of sticky tile junk was invigorating and then just plain disgusting. When it came time to start stripping the glue up I had to leave the room. Enter the manly man. He ended up taking over the project and did he ever do an amazing job! We found one snafu when we started ripping up the last corner of tiles and had to feather in some new hardwood (no challenge for that handyman of mine) and after priming and painting the floors we installed a brand new lovely toilet (which was our one splurge on this project). I’m thrilled with how it turned out.
And here are the after shots
Over the last few days I gathered up the finishing touches and was thrilled to find a two tiered rack at Hobby Lobby today for a quarter of the price of others I’ve been eying. Truly the cherry on top.
Here’s a breakdown of what we did and spent:
Painted the cabinets (1 quart of paint and primer – $15)
Painted the walls (1 gallon paint – $30
Finished the shower curtain aka quilt top (free by using an gifted quilt top and an old sheet)
Hung the shower curtain with drapery clips from Target (roughly $6 for 2 packs)
Removed the sticky tiles and glue from the floor (roughly $50 for paint stripper and supplies and paint for the floor)
Replaced the baseboard trim (free – reused it from the basement)
Curtain valance ($10 from flea market – clip rod and rings $10 from Ikea)
Cabinet Hardware ($15 at Lowes)
Toilet ($149 – we did splurge on a Kohler)
two tier rack for toiletries ($20 on sale at Hobby Lobby),
towel hooks ($15 on sale at Hobby Lobby),
mirror was exchanged from downstairs bathroom (free)
floor rug ($8 on clearance at World Market)
I’m sure there are some other hidden costs in there, but roughly the grand total of around $320. Not bad at all!
This hall closet is somewhat of a temporary project for us, as the grand plan is to move the back door through this closet at some point. That said, once the basement flooded this closet no longer housed our coats and gloves, but my felt and other stock overflow.
We demo’ed the closet and moved my old studio shelf in there and after a little reorganizing I’ve got some good felt storage for now.
I bought a shoe holder for all our gloves, hats etc since I lost my floor space and I love it!
Back a few years ago I linked up with a bunch of others who were sharing their sewing spaces. At that time, I was sewing in our newly refinished basement.
Fast forward to January of this year. After nearly 8 inches of rain in less than three days our basement flooded and this was the result.
We moved all my sewing supplies to virtually every spare space in the house and I set up shop in the kitchen/dining room. After much moving around, this was where I have been sewing for the last 7+ months.
When we realized that the basement wasn’t going to be refinished (again!) any time soon, I declared a trip to Ikea was in order. I had to get a better handle on all the supplies scattered all over the house and figure out how to make a space work for me to sew in and us to also live in (think dinner and homework!).
And here is the result:
I still have a few kinks to work out and need to hang up my white board, but I can already breathe easier! Funny how organization can wear you out but also make you so excited!