daisyeyes handmade

loving, learning and creating
doll clothes | fabric | sewing | tutorials

a few tutorials and more

December 12, 2012

There is a big birthday coming up and with it a project that my husband and I have both been working on. The chick is getting another American Girl doll for her birthday thanks to grandparents (and this is our max too!) so there was a need for something for them to sleep on. You’ll have to tune in late to see the finished project.

Until then, I’ll give you a glimpse at a few projects I worked on today. First up was a fitted sheet for a doll bed. I followed this tutorial by From an Igloo but I added a few changes so I thought I would share them here. I used some leftover pieces of a vintage sheet for the fabric.

doll bed fitted sheet WIP

I followed her directions for cutting out the pattern (mostly because I suck at math) and they were perfect.

doll bed fitted sheet WIP

For my sheets, I opted to serge the unfinished edges instead of folding them over.

doll bed fitted sheet WIP

Then, instead of making a casing for the elastic, I stitched it over the serged edge. To do this, you need to cut out your elastic, make a stitch with your machine leaving your needle in the fabric. Then you pull the elastic to where the end point is and slowly zig zag stitch along the elastic.

doll bed fitted sheet

I think it turned out pretty well.

Untitled

It is a little floppy on the non elastic sides. I don’t know if this was my fault in measuring or what. If I made some more of these I think I would do elastic all the way around instead of just on the ends. But overall, this is a super easy way to make doll sized sheets!

 

Now onto the quilts: A while back I made a little bird quilt for my chick’s bed. The fabric was from Heather Bailey (most of it is Pop Garden) and I knew when it was time to make something for her dolls I wanted it to match.

doll bed quilts WIP

I used up most of the scraps I had left for her book sling so after a little searching on etsy I was able to track down some fat quarters that were from the same line. I suck at math and therefore making quilts is probably never going to be my forte (these ended up being about 1″ too short on the sides) but I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out.

doll bed quilts

What was the biggest relief today was finding all this leftover binding from her book sling and quilt that I had already made!

Stay tuned for the big reveal of the whole project in the coming week!

  1. This is great! I’ve been trying to make fitted bottom sheets but I couldn’t find any tutorials on making one with elastic. So, thanks for sharing!!!

  2. Thank you so much for your tutorial. I think it would be faster to serge the edges and adding the elastic as you did vs making a casing for the elastic. I’ll have to try that I have my fabric already to cut. Thanks again. 😀

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *