Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
~ Matthew 14:22-36
Peter declares: “if it’s really you, tell me to do the impossible. Prove You are who You are.
Jesus declares: “come”
So Peter steps out and he doesn’t sink. What’s running through his mind, I wonder?
He starts to move forward, but at some point he starts to freak out. He stops thinking about Jesus and starts thinking about himself. Does he become too sure of himself? Does he think that all he had to do was take that first step and then he could gather a little bit of the control back?
Jesus reaches out and grabs him. He says, “oh you of little faith…why did you start thinking it was all about you?”
Peter got what he asked for. He got the impossible.
I’ve been given the same gift. Something I never thought would ever happen in my life.
But I so easily become focused on the wind. I try to find ways to buffer myself against it.
But all I really need to do is just keep my eyes ahead.
Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him.
You are a hiding place for me,
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
~ Psalm 32: 6-7
173. I am thankful for the wind. I don’t like it, but it reminds me that I am not in control. That I have to keep eyes forward in order to get through it.
174. I am thankful for the Hand that reaches for me and pulls me out
175. I am thankful for prayers given over a child struggling on the driveway as we set off for school
176. I am thankful for provision given
177. I am thankful for scripture that hits my heart, even though it is familiar
178. I am thankful for fishing and walking on a Sabbath day
179. I am thankful for those that show mercy and grace to my son
180. I am thankful for rhythm, but also thankful for the times when there isn’t any
181. I am thankful for a God who reveals my sin to me, yet still offers hope
182. I am thankful for forgiveness
183. I am thankful for a sweet girl’s reminder this morning that God is going to crush Satan and we won’t struggle anymore